If you are suffering from the pain and unsightliness of tooth wear and erosion, let Tooth Spa help. We are your friendly Sunnyvale Dentist and are dedicated to quality care in a comfortable atmosphere. If you’re worried about tooth wear, come talk with our dental professionals about your concerns.
Symptoms Of Dental Wear & Erosion
Depending on the stage of enamel erosion, some symptoms may include:
- Cracks & Chips – As enamel erodes it leaves the teeth jagged and rough and susceptible to cracking and chipping.
- Discoloration – Your teeth will be more likely to appear yellow as dentin is increasingly exposed.
- Sensitivity – As wear increases, so does sensitivity to certain foods such as sweets, and to foods that are hot and cold in temperature.
What Causes Dental Wear & Enamel Erosion?
Wearing of the tooth enamel is a normal process over time. However, some wear is atypical and not good for your oral health or self-esteem. The enamel erosion we encourage you to address is the excessive wear caused by various factors such as:
- Frequent consumption of soft drinks; the high levels of citric acid and phosphoric acid help erode the enamel protecting your teeth.
- Frequent consumption of fruit-based drinks that have a high natural acidity.
- GERD, or acid reflux disease.
- A dry mouth.
- Grinding or clenching your teeth.
- Diet high in sugars and starches.
- Environmental factors such as excessive stress and friction.
Can I Prevent Enamel Erosion?
Excessive tooth wear is mostly preventable and with some minor changes to your daily habits, you can prevent or reduce the degree of erosion. Often times a nightguard will be recommended to protect your teeth from further wear if it is diagnosed that you are clenching or grinding your teeth.
A nightguard is a simple device that you wear when you sleep that prevents your teeth from wear by protecting tooth surfaces. This guard is custom fit to your teeth and can be a great protective option to prevent further tooth wear. You may be advised to use softer toothbrushes or recommended an alteration to your diet to limit the number of acid-containing beverages depending on the source of erosion. Based on your check-up, Tooth Spa can help you determine what preventative measures will be most successful.
Enamel Erosion Treatment
If your tooth wear has gone beyond preventative measures, there are treatment options that can visually and functionally restore your teeth to their original state. If the enamel has eroded exposing some of the underlying, more sensitive dentin, a tooth-colored material can be bonded to your teeth to function as enamel would. Teeth that have lost substantial structure from extreme wear may require a crown to cap the entire tooth, thus restoring its shape and size.
Experience The Tooth Spa Difference
Combining a professional and friendly staff with green technology, comfort, and conscious sedation, we provide the best care for our patients. Call Tooth Spa in Sunnyvale today to see how we can help improve your smile.